To assist the Bishop and the greater Diocesan community on matters pertaining to ecumenism and interreligious affairs; working together with the many faith traditions in our community to promote dialogue, mutual understanding, friendship and collaboration for the common good.
The Office of Ecumenical & Interreligious Affairs
The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs serves as a resource to the Bishop, the offices of the Pastoral Center, and the parishes throughout the Diocese of Orange to promote Christian unity and understanding among faiths; and to foster dialogue and friendship with members of Christian and non-Christian religions.
Its work is guided by the teaching and directives of the Second Vatican Council, the Holy See, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and the Bishop of Orange.
The Diocese hosts committees consisting of clergy, religious and laypersons to serve as forums for dialogue and to foster ecumenical and interreligious collaboration and cooperation on issues pertaining to the common good.
The Office Provides:
- Speakers for ecumenical and interreligious subjects, issues and themes
- Guidance for parishes, ministries and individuals
- Diocesan events and services that include ecumenical and interreligious leaders and their members
- Fr. Edward Becker, Episcopal Vicar
- Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs
- Michelle O’Donoghue
- Diocese of Orange – Pastoral Center
- 13280 Chapman Avenue, Garden Grove, CA 92840
Ecumenical & Interreligious Commission
The Ecumenical & Interreligious Commission advises and assists the Episcopal Vicar in carrying out the responsibilities and duties of the Office. Members of the Commission serve as Diocesan delegates, developing new ideas for ecumenical and interreligious outreach, as well as planning and hosting special events sponsored by the Diocese.
- Rev. Edward Becker, Episcopal Vicar
- Anthony Vultaggio, Chair
- Mike Cerro
- Deacon Christopher Ciraulo
- Kathy Ciraulo
- Deacon Tom Concitis
- John Hartmann
- Greg Kelley
- Rev. John Monestero
- Michael Mullard
- Mary Susa
Ongoing dialogue & monthly meetings on the diocesan level:
- Ecumenical Commission meets the first Monday of the month.
- Orthodox-Catholic priests dinner meets the third Monday of the month.
- The Jewish-Catholic Dialogue meets the third Thursday of the month.
- The Mormon-Catholic Dialogue meets the fourth Thursday of the month.
- Orange County Sheriff’s Interfaith Advisory Council meet at different times.
Ecumenical & Interreligious Affairs Resources
- Vatican Resources
- [for a complete listing, please visit and search the Vatican website: http://w2.vatican.va/content/vatican/en.html]
- PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR PROMOTING CHRISTIAN UNITY
- PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR INTER-RELIGIOUS DIALOGUE
- COMMISSION OF THE HOLY SEE FOR RELIGIOUS RELATIONS WITH THE JEWS
- “Ut Unum Sint: On Commitment to Ecumenism”
- [ENCYCLICAL OF HIS HOLINESS POPE JOHN PAUL II, 1995]
- “Directory for the Application of Principles and Norms on Ecumenism.”
- [PONTIFICIUM CONSILIUM AD CHRISTIANORUM UNITATEM FOVENDAM, 1993]
- “Dialogue and Proclamation”
- [PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR INTER-RELIGIOUS DIALOGUE , 1991]
- “Guidelines and Suggestions for Implementing the Conciliar Declaration, NOSTRA AETATE” [n. 4]
- [COMMISSION OF THE HOLY SEE FOR RELIGIOUS RELATIONS WITH THE JEWS]
- “Nostra Aetate: Declaration on the Relationship of the Church to Non-Christian Religions.”
- [PROCLAIMED BY HIS HOLINESS POPE PAUL VI ON OCTOBER 28, 1965]
- “Unitatis Redintegratio: Decree on Ecumenism”
- [SECOND VATICAN COUNCIL, 1964]
- [for a complete listing, please visit and search the USCCB website: http://www.usccb.org/.]
- USCCB COMMITTEE ON ECUMENICAL AND INTERRELIGIOUS AFFAIRS
- CATHOLIC ASSOCIATION OF DIOCESAN ECUMENICAL AND INTERRELIGIOUS OFFICERS [CADEIO]
- 2017 Commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation Resource Guide
- Documents Produced By The North American Orthodox – Catholic Theological Consultation
- Peace and Friendship: 2014 Report on the Consultation of the National Council of Synagogues and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- 2014 Joint Statement of the Jewish-Catholic Dialogue sponsored by The National Council of Synagogues and The USCCB Committee on Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs
- Joint Statement on School Choice: 2006 Statement from the Rabbinical Council of America/ Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America and the USCCB
- Resources for Understanding Islam
- “How Mary Holds Christians and Muslims In Conversation” [Cardinal William Keeler]