Respect Life Program: Parishes in the Diocese of Orange participate in this year-round, nationwide effort to help Catholics understand, value, and become engaged with building a culture that cherishes every human life. The U.S. bishops produce materials each year to assist you in these efforts. These resources may be downloaded, printed, and reproduced for use in your parish, school, or ministry to help build a culture of life. They can also be adapted for either in-person or virtual use. Consider ordering the beautiful Prayer Cards for your parish.
Respect Life Month (October): Each year in October, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops launches a new theme for the year to help Catholics understand and honor the dignity of every human person. This year’s theme is “Living the Gospel of Life.” Parishes are invited to host a ministry fair and/or other activities in which the beauty of our Catholic teaching on life from conception to natural death can be shared with greater numbers of parishioners.
Specifically, consider mentioning the following particular issues of focus:
- Abortion (Beginning of Life)
- Racial Justice
- Caring for the Whole Person (End of Life)
- Foster Care
- Human Trafficking
- Migration Ministry
- Care for Creation
- Death Penalty
Walking with Moms (and ALL) in Need: There are so many people in need in our parishes and our neighborhoods, including pregnant and parenting moms. As Pope Francis reminds us, our parishes need to be “islands of mercy in the midst of a sea of indifference.” Everyone in the parish community should know where to refer anyone in need, whether a pregnant woman, a homeless man, a victim of domestic violence, an elder in need of accompaniment, a family in need of food.
- Walking with Moms (and ALL) in Need is a year of service where Catholic parishes and communities “walk in the shoes” of local pregnant and parenting women and – especially in the midst of this pandemic – all who are in need. We want to be ensure that everyone knows how to help moms in difficult circumstances and to make good referrals and accompany anyone who comes to us in need. While not trying to turn Catholic parishes into pregnancy centers or social service agencies, we can support local centers and other agencies where they exist, and we can also find and share other resources with those in need. And where there are resources missing, we can create our own, based on the gifts of the parish community!
- We hope you and your parish will join us in this effort. More on the national campaign at walkingwithmoms.com. We are already blessed with abundant resources which you can find in the soon-to-be-updated Diocese of Orange Catholic Directory as well as the LJP Resource Booklet: English / Español. One of the goals for this year of service is to update and find new local resources that you might discover in your area which help our parishes to walk with those in need well. For additional questions and/or to suggest additional resources, please contact Greg Walgenbach, Director of Life, Justice & Peace, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mass for the Protection of Unborn Life: Hosted at Christ Cathedral, the whole Diocese gathers to pray for an end to abortion and other abuses of the dignity of life. Our next Mass for the Protection of Unborn Life is on Friday, January 22, 2020 at 7:00pm.
Lenten CRS Rice Bowl and 40 Days for Life: During Lent, our Diocese encourages parishes and individuals to observe forty days of prayer for an increased respect for the life and dignity of every human person. Parishes and individuals are encouraged to participate in CRS Rice Bowl program of formation and prayer around global solidarity as well as finding ways to offer personal prayers, sacrifices, and participation in peaceful prayer vigils outside of abortion clinics.
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND OUR DIOCESAN GUIDELINES FOR CATHOLIC PRO-LIFE OUTREACH FOR A CATHOLIC, CHRIST-CENTERED APPROACH TO PRO-LIFE MINISTRY!
FAVOR DE CONSIDERAR NUESTRAS DIRECTRICES PARA ALCANCE COMUNITARIO CATOLICO PRO-VIDA, PARA UN MINISTERIO PRO-VIDA CATOLICA, CON CRISTO AL CENTRO.
- Mass intercessions
- Oct. 4 Respect Life Sunday Mass Helps
- Pro-life Speaker at Mass
- Respect Life Liturgies throughout the year
- OC 40 Days for Life
- Peaceful Prayer Vigils at clinics
- Prayer chain / Rosaries for the unborn
- Spiritual Adoption Program
- Parish Prayer Groups praying for the respect of life
- Feast of the Holy Innocents (Remembrance for All Who Have Lost Children for Any Reason)
- Respect Life Sunday homily
- Bulletin Respect Life Education
- Adult Faith Respect Life Formation
- Youth Faith Respect Life Formation
- Parish School Respect Life Formation
- Parish twitter, Facebook, & Social Media Respect Life posts
- Natural Family Planning and Adoption education
- Catholic Sexuality and Chastity education for youth
- References to other websites: www.cacatholic.org, www.usccb.org, www.nchla.org
- Parish Ministries involvement and participation in Respect Life parish activity
- Parish website & social media promotion of the Respect of Life
- Faithful Citizenship voting education
- Parish Library Respect Life books
- Walking with Moms [and ALL] in Need
- Fostering parishes equipped for accompaniment of women, men, and families facing unexpected pregnancies, walking alongside, making helpful referrals, including to centers, clinics, or shelters.
- Hope & Healing after Abortion Diocesan Ministry
- Help Brochures, Pamphlets & help posted around church for those in crisis
- Financial support for local clinics, shelters, and centers (Pennies From Heaven, Mother’s Day Roses, Baby Shower Drives, and other donations)
- Catholic Advocacy Day – TBD
- OneLife LA (click here to view time, speakers, and other information): register a group, bulletin/pulpit announcement, order promotional material, OneLife LA prayer
- Email alerts from Catholic Legislative Network and Human Life Action
- LJP Newsletter – If you’d like to receive, click here.
- Pennies from Heaven
- Promote Foster Care/Adoption
- Options United App for Life– Pray for Crisis pregnancies by text!
For more, see the following advocacy issues: