Bring Your Animals to Church
Garden Grove, Calif., (Sept. 22, 2021) – Several parishes in the Diocese of Orange will hold a Blessing of the Animals on or near Monday, October 4, a tradition that dates back to the 13th Century when St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals and the environment, preached to the birds and praised all creatures calling them his brothers and sisters under God.
Parish clergy will ask God to bless the animals with good health to keep them safe from harm.
All of God’s creatures are invited to attend. Please be sure dogs, cats and other beloved animals are appropriately restrained and have plenty of their favorite treats.
Photos of animals who have gone to “sainthood” can also be brought along for a blessing.
SATURDAY, OCT. 2:
- Santiago De Compostela, Lake Forest: Saturday, Oct. 2 at 9:00 a.m.
- Corpus Christi, Aliso Viejo: Saturday, Oct. 2 at 9:30 a.m.
- Holy Spirit, Fountain Valley: Saturday, Oct. 2 at 10:00 a.m.
- St. Anne, Seal Beach: Saturday, Oct. 2 at 10:00 a.m.
- Sts. Simon & Jude, Huntington Beach: Saturday, Oct. 2 at 10:30 a.m.
- St. Hedwig, Los Alamitos: Saturday, Oct. 2 at 11:00 a.m.
SUNDAY, OCT. 3:
- St. Joachim, Costa Mesa, Sunday, Oct. 3 at 2:00 p.m.
- San Francisco Solano, RSM: Sunday, Oct. 3 at 2:30 p.m.
- St. John Neumann, Irvine: Sunday, Oct. 3 at 2:30 p.m.
MONDAY, OCT. 4:
- St. Elizabeth Anne Seton, Irvine: Monday, Oct. 4 at 9:30 a.m.
- St. Polycarp, Stanton: Monday, Oct. 4 at 9:30 a.m.
- Holy Family Church, Seal Beach: Monday, Oct. 4 at 11:00 a.m.
- Our Lady of Fatima Academy, San Clemente: Monday, Oct. 4 at 2:15 p.m.
- St. Irenaeus, Cypress: Monday, Oct. 4 at 3:15 p.m.
- Holy Trinity, Ladera Ranch: Monday, Oct. 4 at 5:30 p.m.
- St. Thomas More, Irvine: Monday, Oct. 4 at 5:30 p.m.
- Holy Family, Orange: Monday, Oct. 4 at 6:00 p.m.
- St. Kilian, Mission Viejo: Monday, Oct. 4 at 6:00 p.m.
- St. Mary’s, Fullerton: Monday, Oct. 4 at 6:00 p.m.
As times may change, please contact the parish nearest you for more information.
About the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange
With 1.3 million Catholics, 57 parishes, five Catholic Centers, and 36 schools, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange is one of the largest, most diverse faith communities in the United States. The Diocese empowers Catholics across Orange County to have an active life of faith that is integrated and woven into the fabric of their daily lives through the community and sacramental life of the Church. Under the leadership of Bishop Kevin Vann, the Diocese works to establish and support dynamic, vibrant parishes and schools, and welcome all to live the Gospel with faith, joy, charity and unity. Christ Cathedral, the spiritual home of the Diocese, was dedicated in July 2019. Learn more about the Diocese of Orange at www.rcbo.org
Pastoral Center: Communications Department
13280 Chapman Avenue, Garden Grove, CA 92840
Office: 714-282-3075 Fax: 714-282-3029
*Media/photographers should contact the Office of Communications if they plan to attend.